Friday, October 16, 2009

The Iliad

Ulysses has nothing on me when it comes to travel adventures. Even Gulliver
would have been impressed with my saga yesterday. When I made my itinerary
to Knoxville, I had four legs of the trip to make it through. The first
three clicked like clock work.

Then came leg number four. We were delayed in boarding the plane. Then we
slowly taxied down the tarmac, about a mile the pilot said. Right at the
end of our snail's pace crawl, the pilot suddenly announced, "We have to
return to the gate. We have a fuel gauge light on."

We sat a while as the mechanic came off and on the plane. Then he gave up.
The stewardess told us we would have to deplane and await another plane. We
waited and waited. Plane arrived. Made it to Springfield three hours late.
Had done a lot of emailing, reading, calling, tweeting, facebooking, and
missing Ruth.

Humor helps. I could have used some yesterday for sure. Street oddities.
Corner of Grinn and Barrett Drives in West Chester OH. Hickory and Dickory
Avenues intersect Dock Street in Harahan LA. Corner of Ho and Hum Streets
in Carefree AZ. Haveteur Way in CA.

Follow me on Twitter @john316marshall
Read my blog at www.secondbaptist.org