Sunday, October 18, 2009

Victory Garden 2009

2600. The number of families our Victory Garden helped feed this Summer.

When Bob Roberts first talked to me about our church putting out a Victory
Garden, I flinched. I spent enough time on Grandpa's farm to know how much
work would be involved. My optimism was nonexistent.

But then the summer developed. People by the scores began volunteering to
help till, plant, and sow the 3.5 acres. Day after day trucks left the
garden with food for Salvation Army, Victory Mission, and Grand Oak Mission.

Bob has kept meticulous records throughout the summer. Here are some of the
totals. 3379 tomatoes, 700 squash, 800 sweet potatoes, 1240 gallons of
beans, 64 gallons of carrots, 548 gallons of Swiss Chard, 266 gallons of
okra, 36 gallons of jalapenos (hot), 182 gallons of Zucchini, over two tons
of corn. Yes, that's right, two tons. There's more, but this will suffice.

In 12 minutes I'm heading downstairs to the youth area for our celebration
with the volunteers who worked in the garden. There will be a lot of people
present. Majors Grainger of Salvation Army, Jim and Mary Harriger of
Victory Mission, plus Bob and Dinah Ensor of Grand Oak Mission will be here
to thank everyone. The Lord is good and greatly to be praised.

Follow me on Twitter @john316marshall
Read my blog at www.secondbaptist.org