Saturday, December 4, 2010

Cold December Morning

I drove the Falcon to work this morning.  Twas a cold December morning in 1970 when I totaled its ancestor. I was winging my way through a yellow light when my dear friend, my 1963 Ford Falcon, began to choke down on me.  It stalled.  A young guy who was reading the light came barreling through the intersection and plowed into me.  He also totaled his car.  He hadn't made the first payment yet.

A major sidelight to this story is, when I married Ruth 3 months later, my insurance company had cancelled me.  I had no auto insurance the day I married.  Fortunately, my in-laws trusted me enough to let us take their car on our honeymoon.

Ruth owned an AMX, a souped up sports car, when I married her.  When I called an insurance agent to see if I could buy drivers insurance on it, he laughed out loud.  No kidding.  We sold her much loved AMX and bought a tiny Opal, which we never did like.  But at least I was able to secure insurance. Wow. What a saga.  All because of a cold December morning exactly 40 years ago.

Humor helps.  A lady at a restaurant asked for minimal lettuce.  The server replied, "I'm sorry, we have only iceberg lettuce."  A pedestrian heard a buzzer on a pole at an intersection.  She asked what the buzzing was for.  A friend explained it signals blind people when it's safe for them to cross.  The lady, appalled, gasped, "What on earth are blind people doing driving?"

Twitter @john316marshall
Facebook  john316marshall