Monday, January 16, 2017

Hyper-competitive

I have always been overly competitive. I had to quit playing on church-league teams due to my bad attitude. I even had a problem with the fact that in my recent heart rehab group there was a guy who walked faster than I did. That really bugged me.

One side effect of this hyper-competitiveness is that I sometimes overreact to the sports teams I love. It's been a tough season in sports for me. Neither the Cardinals nor the Royals made the playoffs. Alabama lost. Dallas Lost. The Chiefs lost. All these facts combined can make for one unhappy preacher.

I have to remind myself often. Sports is a diversion, a relaxation, entertainment--a way to let our minds escape other more important things that can weigh heavily on us. "It's just a game" is more profound than we give it credit for being.

I'm glad to have this off my chest. I feel better now. By the way, when does Spring training start?