Friday, January 20, 2017

Inauguration

When I board my flight at DFW, headed home to Springfield, Mr. Obama will be my President. When I disembark in Springfield, Mr. Trump will be my President.

This peaceful transfer of power, which we too often greet with a yawn and take for granted, is a marvel unknown by most of the world. We need a renewed awe of it.

George Washington, our first and greatest President, gave us this gift. We often talk about how he could have been King George the First had he wanted to be.

He also could have been President Washington for life. His willingness to step down after two terms set the example for all Presidents till FDR. Then it became law through a constitutional amendment.

As you watch the inauguration, thank the Lord first. Next, thank Mr. Washington, for whom today's Inauguration City is appropriately named. God bless America.