Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Reflections

I had a perfect birthday yesterday. Ruth masterminded it all, of
course. Mom and Dad came; the trip is getting harder for them to make
as time passes. My brother Charles and sister Esther came from St.
Louis.


John, Amanda, Nathan, and Rebekah were here, as were all 4 of my
wonderful grandchildren. We partied hard.


I am now two times older than anyone in their 20s, three times older
than all teenagers, four times older than pre-teens. But it doesn't
bother me one whit.


I feel incredibly good. When I close my eyes and ponder my life, I
feel as healthy and as strong as I did when I played basketball at age
15, married Ruth at 19, and received my doctorate at 23.


My problems begin when I open my eyes and see a mirror. "Who is that
old guy?" I wonder for half a second. Then I smile and reflect, "Life
is good. God has drawn the lines for me in pleasant places."


Twitter @john316marshall
www.facebook.com/john316marshall