Sunday, December 27, 2009

Revivals and Football

Capital One Football Week(s) is upon us. Watching football, something
we usually do once a week, is for this week or two a daily event.


Reminds me of the old revival meetings we used to have twice a year.
I can still remember the last two-week revival meetings I attended.


I was too young to drive, and rode with Dad every night for two weeks
to a meeting he preached in Commerce MO. For the next two weeks I
attended a revival every night in my home church. I went to church
essentially every night in August that year.


Speaking of concentrated church attendance, Ed Meyer and I had a
mutual friend, Carey Miller, who was one of the most effective and
powerful evangelists we ever knew. He preached 26 Sunday to Sunday
revivals a year.


He preached 4 times on both Sundays, and noon and night the other 6
days. Yep. Add 'em up. Twenty services in one week. We don't do
concentrated church much any more. Maybe this tells us something
about ourselves.


Twitter @john316marshall
www.facebook.com/john316marshall