Monday, November 2, 2009

Why The Yankees?

What makes a long term champion? Why are the Yankees always around?
Grandpa knew of Babe and Lou. Dad watched Joe. I was a rabid fan of
Mickey (I still try to imitate his walk). And now my grandsons know
about the Bronx Bombers.


What's the deal? Our first response is always "Infinite Money." That
certainly helps, but can't explain it all. Surely some of it has to
do with heritage and legacy, always knowing you have a huge past to
live up to. Over the entrance to the Yankees clubhouse is DiMaggio's
quote, "It's a privilege to be a Yankee."


Some of it has to do with the New York City mystique. You're just
expected to do better in the Big Apple. This hasn't helped the Mets,
though.


Okay. I give up. Maybe it is the money. I wonder if Bill Gates and
Warren Buffett would like to buy the Cardinals.


Twitter @john316marshall
www.facebook.com/john316marshall