Thursday, June 4, 2009

Living On Louisville Time

Arrived at the office early, 5:54 a.m. Temperature was 54 degrees. That’s cold, only 15 degrees above the thirties. Why am I up this early? I have no earthly idea. I even had insomnia pretty bad last night. I came on to the office so as not to wake anyone up. Today is Sam’s first day with no school. I wanted to let everyone sleep as late as possible. I was not the first person here. We have custodians and housekeepers who arrive early to have the building ready for the rest of us.

The biggest conversation starter these days seems to be the annual sermon I will preach at the Southern Baptist Convention in Louisville this month. We are working on a bulletin insert to tell everyone the times they can hear the choir and me on the internet live that morning. Out of the blue, someone asked if Louisville is on eastern time. We said no, but then looked at each other askance. Googled it. Guess what. Louisville is in the eastern time zone. Our bulletin insert would have listed all the times one hour off. What a disaster that would have been.

Humor helps. This year USA Americans will spend $31 billion on pet foods, supplies, and toys. I hope Jake and Millie don’t sue me for neglect. San Francisco has added the word guardian to the designation of pet owners. Wow. I’m a guardian. Thanks, Jake and Millie, for giving my life meaning.