Thursday, June 11, 2009

Omni-awake

Office, 6:30 a.m. 63 degrees. Yep, I’m up in the middle of the night again. I think sleeplessness gets a bad rap sometimes. Why do we always refer to it in the negative? Insomnia–non-sleep. Let’s try a positive spin, and call it omni-awake.

Some good things can happen in the middle of the night due to sleeplessness. Many of the ancients would read and write in what they called the midnight watch. In my insomnia, I mean omni-awake, this morning I planned out the introduction to my next Missouri Baptist Convention history article for Pathway. By the way, I’ve completed five of the ten articles. I love history, even in insomnia–uh oh, I mean omni-awake.

I’m a nervous wreck. My computer has been officially declared a tyrannosauras rex. A new one is on its way. I hate change. I have no doubt I will cry at least four or five times over the next few weeks. I can feel the sweat popping out on my brow. This is not good.

Wanting to emphasize comfort rather than style, I had said repeatedly I was not going to buy a new suit to preach in at the Southern Baptist Convention. Wrong. Ruth voted otherwise, and her vote is the only one that counts.