Monday, February 16, 2009

Overnighter

Yesterday Ruth and I took advantage of our church’s Family Night at Home, and slipped away for an overnighter. We ate out twice, watched a movie and TV, read, and enjoyed being together. I even found time to write out a sermon.

We had a wonderful time, except I did feel the need to talk with her about the fact she seems to be laughing less at my jokes these days. I know she’s heard most of them often, and I know I have little variety in my style of humor, but still, I have always appreciated the fact Ruth laughed when I tried to be funny.

This is especially important to me because I like to humor myself by thinking I might want to be a stand-up comic after I retire from the Pastorate. She said she was not aware of laughing less, but when I tried to make a joke out of it, she did not laugh. I rest my case.

More bio info on Millie. She has white chow fur, which is soft. She has always had hip arthritis, but has never let that keep her from running off a lot. In fact, Caleb says she has always been the ultimate road-tripper. He said she would be gone so much that he thought she was touring the state. Their fence was rusted and had lots of holes in it. To Millie, these were her ticket to adventure.