Sunday, February 1, 2009

Skunked

D-Day. Today marks the end of our race to 200. John and I considered various ways we could end this contest. We thought maybe a weigh-off in the middle of a worship service would be interesting. Another possibility was to sell the TV rights and let it be shown at half-time of the Super Bowl.

In the end, humility carried the day. We decided to end our competition quietly at home, away from the press and cameras. Drum-roll please. Here are the final numbers: John 197, me 213. I got skunked. Slam dunked. Smoked. Ten-run rule. Humiliated. I haven’t lost a competition this bad since my basketball days in high school.

Now the question that matters. How did he do it? Several ways. Starve. Mount the treadmill at 5 a.m. and walk 4 to 6 miles on it. Starve. Lift weights. Starve. Eat a light breakfast and lunch; skip supper. Starve. Go to bed hungry each night. Starve. I think you get the picture.

Way to go, John. I’m proud of you.