Saturday, December 20, 2008

56 and 363/365

Today I am 56 and 363/365 years old. I love to do these kinds of things to mathematicians, since I am one myself. We do love to play with numbers.

I had a healthier breakfast today: a Granny Smith apple (my favorite apple) and two big dill pickles (I love pickles). Here in a little while I will take Ruth out for lunch. It will probably be a more balanced meal.

Tonight Ruth and I will take the moonlight tour at Wilsons Creek battlefield (it was postponed last week due to high winds). We will then spend a quiet evening with friends to celebrate Christmas.

I am working on sermons. I always hear them beckoning me in the background. They are the ever recurring craft of my trade.

Humor helps. Actual double meaning headlines. Enraged cow injures farmer with ax. Plane too close to ground, crash probe told. Miners refuse to work after death (the nerve). Juvenile Court to try shooting defendant (Let a jury decide). Stolen painting found by tree (Trees are our friends). Two sisters reunited after 18 years in checkout counter (They obviously did not use the self-help line. It’s faster).