Monday, December 29, 2008

Casey's Party is Over

It’s a sad day. My Cowboys went down in ignominious, yea downright embarrassing, defeat yesterday. Their season is over. No play-offs this year.

I’m reminded of two songs. One, Casey at the Bat. It was a sad day in Mudville when Casey struck out. My Cowboys are now of his ilk. Two, Turn Out the Lights; the Party’s Over. Don Meredith used to sing this on Monday Night Football when it was obvious the game was lost. I feel we should all sing a chorus of it over the Cowboys this year.

I guess I should change my NFL affections to another team. Maybe Kansas City. Uh oh. I don’t think so. They won only two games all season. Maybe St. Louis. No way. They also won only two games this year. Maybe Chicago. Nope. Ingested too much anti-Chicago sentiment when I lived in St. Louis. Detroit? No. They lost all 16 games this year.

I’m truly in a quandary. Maybe I should stick with the Cowboys but then have as my second and third favorites whatever teams are winning big that year. Hey. That’s a workable plan. I think I can do this. “Cowboys plus two” is my new football motto.