Monday, December 22, 2008

Birthday 57

Today I am 57, three times older than when I proposed to Ruth on my nineteenth birthday. On birthday 16 I got my drivers license, and left the house on my own for the first time. I left with $40 I had made preaching that year, and came home with 40 cents, plus Christmas gifts for my parents, sister, and brother. The Lord’s Supper picture I bought for Mom and Dad still hangs in their living room.

On birthday 34 Ruth and I started a church. John and Rebekah worked hard to help us get that work started. They were 11 and 9. I date the beginning of their years of working in church from that event. On birthday 43 John and Jana were wed at East Side Baptist Church in Fort Smith AR. What momentous event will take place today? We’ll see. I can tell you this for sure. I am, of all men, most blessed. Living with Ruth is an everyday birthday gift.

We had all the grandchildren at our house last night. Life is good. We watched the movie Wall-e. It is a classic movie about the importance of friendship.

Humor helps. True gaffs from 2008. A man tried to rob a bank using his thumb and finger to simulate a gun; he failed to keep his hand in his pocket. Detectives asked the men in a lineup to repeat, “Give me your money or I’ll shoot.” One of the men immediately shouted, “That not what I said!”