Thursday, December 18, 2008

Condo

I am well. Ruth and I went to a condo in Branson. I read, rested, wrote, plus edited sermons. It was good to be away with my sweetie. This is as alone as I can do. If I’m by myself, I’m lonely. If I’m with Ruth, I’m alone. Figure that one out.

John is still eating oats for breakfast. He has even increased the amount a bit. My weight continues to rise. I have regained twenty of the fifty pounds I lost. The way I scarf food you would think I’m a starving man. Right now, if I see it I eat it. Food likes me. It sticks around once I invite it into my life. What’s the old saying? One second on the lips, one lifetime on the hips (or something like that).

I have a mountain of stuff waiting for me on my desk. Whenever I’m gone on vacation, don’t you think it would be only fair if all my workload also went on vacation? It seems the world goes along quite well without me. Depressing.

Humor helps. True story. A foot patrolman was assigned to guard an intersection where a snapped electric wire had fallen due to ice. For five hours, the man stood guard, with the temperature being nineteen degrees below zero. When a utility truck arrived, a lineman got out and started laughing. “Officer, congratulations. You have successfully guarded a frozen kite string all night.”