Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Race to 200

My son and I are racing toward 200. Having lost a lot of weight, he’s down to 218. Having found a lot of the weight he lost, I’m up to 214. We are going to race downhill till Super Bowl Sunday. Have we made a wager? No. We are both too competitive to need anything like that to motivate us. The game is on. Someone who weighs less than 200 said they are also heading toward 200 at breakneck speed (not good).

It’s Christmas Eve. Tonight we will have the largest single service crowd we’ve had all year here at Second. I never have fully understood the Christmas Eve service mystique. We never had Christmas Eve services in my boyhood church. It’s a tradition that never caught hold deep inside me.

Humor helps. Caleb and Ruth gave Jake and Millie their Christmas presents early. The dogs now have huge cushiony dog pillows to sleep on. This not only provides comfort but also allows them to sink down into the pillows and stay warmer. I think Jake and Millie said thanks, in their own doggy way.