Thursday, March 19, 2009

Ben-Hur

I’ve been working on Ben-Hur this morning. Ben What!?! That’s right. Ben-Hur. As part of our Easter preaching emphasis, I’m going to focus on who Jesus is. To complement this theme, Second Act will present the stage version of General Lew Wallace’s famous novel, Ben-Hur, on Sunday night April 26. The story fictionally chronicles Wallace’s personal pilgrimage in his efforts to understand Jesus.

I try not to write about news items, but a Fox News article caught my eye. It listed the ten worst inventions of the past century. Three especially fascinated me.

One was the detachable dog sack. It would keep dog hairs out of my car by letting Jake and Millie ride outside it in a pouch attached with rubber-padded hooks to the open window of my vehicle. Wow. I wonder why that idea never went over well.

A second idea of idiocy was the cat wig. That’s right. A wig for felines. I saw a picture of a cat wearing one. It’s one of the ugliest sights I’ve ever seen.

Number three was my favorite. An anti-eating face mask, a metal cage that attaches to the face to keep those of us lacking self-control from eating solid food.