Sunday, March 1, 2009

Preaching About Money

Yesterday I woke up to snow again!! What’s going on here? I can’t believe it. Please tell the Alabamans among us to quit praying for snow. My daughter said Ian woke her up yesterday morning. He was standing at the back door loudly singing, “Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.”

I decided to have a special breakfast to comfort myself. Ate some cheesecake. Then crumbled two handfuls of potato chips into a cheese dip and salsa mix. Ate six olives to provide a pungent garnish. Oh no! I forgot to eat a kosher dill pickle spear. Sad.

Money is my topic for today’s sermon. It’s a whole new ball game tackling the subject in the midst of a serious Recession. Fortunately, the Bible is timeless and speaks to all economic conditions, good and bad.

Humor helps. When Caleb was six, Jake was brought to the family Christmas gathering. Caleb took Jake home in the family Honda station wagon. He often escaped the back yard. His reward for bad behavior was scraps and bones from Price Cutter. Yum. Jake loves attention. The bigger the crowd, the better. I know what you’re thinking. Like owner like dog. I resemble that remark.