Friday, March 6, 2009

Livingstone

Last night I finished MacKenzie’s classic biography of David Livingstone, who is considered by all to be one of the most important men who ever lived. He was a missionary who fought Africa’s East Coast slave trade and almost singlehandedly brought it to an end. He called slavery the open sore of the world. When I read of a life like his, I am deeply moved. To live a life that counts is what counts.

Tonight is First Friday Artwalk. I hope to see you at the Bellwether. It has gained a good reputation in the Springfield arts community for displaying high quality art.

Yesterday I finished this Sunday’s sermon manuscript. Hurray. But wait!! I just looked at my calendar and noticed next week also has a Sunday attached to it. Back to the salt mines I go this morning.

Humor helps. In civics class a girl stated how unfair it was that the President of the USA had to be a natural born citizen. She felt this kept many capable people from being allowed to serve. She ended her argument by saying a natural born citizen isn’t any more qualified to lead this country than one born by C-section.