Friday, March 13, 2009

Seen A Black Cat Lately?

Friday the thirteenth. I’ve never been superstitious. However, I do knock on wood for good luck (just kidding). I was given a rabbit’s foot one time for good luck. I wondered, if it brings good luck, what went wrong with the poor rabbit that had four of them? I was told a broken mirror brings seven years of bad luck, but throwing a handful of salt over my left (or right?) shoulder brings seven years of good luck. Thus, these two neutralize each other.

I do think it is bad luck to walk under a ladder if there is an open can of paint on it. I don’t step on sidewalk cracks; this keeps me from breaking my mother’s back. Mom is grateful. Yes, superstition is silly. But just in case, I’m right now knocking on wood (just kidding).

Tomorrow morning I offer the dedicatory prayer at the Victory Garden our church members will soon plant. Thanks to the Campbell family for letting this prime piece of dirt be used to help feed people going through a hard time in the economic climate we find ourselves in. When the land was plowed, only one rock was turned up–nothing short of an Ozark miracle. I take it as a harbinger of good things to come. Is that superstitious?