Sunday, March 8, 2009

Fred Winters

Fred Winters, the Pastor killed in his pulpit this morning, was my friend. He and I served on the Large Church Roundtable, a group of about twenty Pastors, whose churches are near the size of Second. I visited with him at last week’s meeting. He was telling me about his college days at SBU in Bolivar. While attending there, he came to church at Second. He told me how much he appreciated the investment our church had made in him.

I spoke with him by phone this week on Thursday. We had a wonderful, delightful conversation. That’s the way he was. I am saddened to the point of numbness. I think all of us on the LCR know it could have been any one of us. As Ruth said, she could have come home a widow today. Sad. Please pray for Fred’s widow and two children.

We have top notch security personnel here at Second. A guard is assigned to me at all times. They watch me like a hawk. About a month ago, I had to leave the service to use the restroom. By the time I got out of the auditorium, and reached the bathroom door, three of our security guys were waiting for me. It was a bit of a letdown when I told them I only needed to go to the bathroom. Thanks, guys and gals, I’m more grateful for you today than I have ever been.