Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Quasquicentennial

All three grandsons were at the house overnight Monday. We slept well, but all of us woke up wired and alive before 7 a.m. Tuesday morning. We had already had a wild and crazy day before we ever left the house. What a hootenanny. (There’s a word no one uses any more. Try looking it up. Hint: Google is your best bet.)

I just arrived in the office after having my six-month stress echo running on the treadmill test. I did way better than does the average person my age, including both heart patients and non-heart patients. Hurray for me.

Quasquicentennial. I’ve not yet found anyone who has ever heard the term before. I love to pull stuff like this on people. I have done more research on the derivation of the term. Quasqui is Latin for one and a fourth. Thus, if it precedes centennial, it refers to the number 125. Mathematicians, wordsmiths, lexiconographers (Google it), and linguists love this type of info. Someone suggested we put the word on our church sign for people to ponder as they drive by.

Humor helps. A letter to the bank. Dear Sirs, one of my checks was returned marked “insufficient funds.” In view of current developments in the banking industry, does that refer to me or to you?