Saturday, January 3, 2009

Keeter Center

Ruth and I just returned from two nights at the Keeter Center on the College of the Ozarks campus in Branson. I’m always impressed whenever I visit Hard Work University. Hundreds of students who could not have afforded a college degree otherwise have been unspeakably blessed by working their way through C of O.

When three-year-old Ian was told his dad had to return to work yesterday, he said, “Daddy, I will miss you very, very hard.” One of the most precious moments of the holidays happened when Ian and Lilly Ruth stayed overnight with us. When Lilly Ruth started fussing, Ian kept repeating, “I’m here, Lilly. It’s okay. It’s allright. I’m here.” I thought I would melt into a puddle of sentimentality.

I edited 7 sermons while away, 5 in John 13, 2 in Luke 11. I finished a biography of William Carey, and got halfway through a bio of David Livingstone.

Humor helps. Duh. A man kidnapped a driver and forced him to drive to two ATM machines. Both times the kidnapper withdrew money from his own bank account. A thief in Topeka demanded all the money in the cash drawer at a Kwik Shop. Disappointed at the amount, he tied up the store clerk and worked the counter himself for three hours until police showed up and arrested him.