Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Cookie Cheater

You would think a Grandpa could bend the rules a little with his 21-month-old granddaughter without getting caught. Oh no!! Not in your lifetime. When her mom said they were going to Bass Pro Shops, Lilly Ruth said, “Grandpa. Cookie.” Uh oh. Rebekah asked me point blank, “Do you get Lilly Ruth a cookie when you take her to Bass Pro?” I told the truth, and tried to put a good spin on my explanation. Yes, I buy a huge chocolate chip cookie when we first go in. I eat half of it and parcel out to her the other half as we make our way through the store. It’s my way of helping her stay happy. Her mother was okay with this explanation. Whew. She even said she might do the same thing. Hurray!!

It’s holy week. I always try to keep a light schedule the week before Easter. It is the most important day of the year for our churches, and I always want to be my best on Resurrection Sunday. Let’s pray for a mighty day at Second. Also pray for me as I focus my thoughts on the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus.

I’m on target in my reading through the Bible in 2009. I began this second quarter of the year by reading the Gospel of Mark, which many scholars consider to be the memoirs of Simon Peter. I am now in I Peter, and will soon read 2 Peter and Jude, the other New Testament books heavily influenced by Peter.