Sunday, April 5, 2009

Deep Preaching

Ben Pilgreen just preached as good a sermon on substitutionary atonement as I ever heard. So much for contemporary being synonymous with shallow. Whatever the preaching style, every sermon needs to make a beeline to the cross as quick as possible. It is the essence of our faith. Jesus, thank You for the cross.

I struggled terribly with temptation this morning. To my dismay we had no cereal. When I opened the refrigerator to see what I could substitute for Honey Scooters, temptation attacked me mercilessly. First thing I saw was a huge box of pizza. The battle was engaged. Should I do this? Aren’t there a lot of calories in a piece of pizza? Isn’t something else available? How will I face myself if I indulge like this at 6:20 a.m.? Finally I came to peace with myself. To satisfy my craving, I ate pizza. To satisfy my desire to be able to show absolute self-control in the face of temptation, I ate only one piece. It was good!! No kidding. Tasty breakfast.

Easter approacheth. Pollsters say Easter is the Sunday each year that provides us our best chance to persuade non-attenders to come to church. Invite everyone you have ever had a religious conversation with to be in church on Easter.