Sunday, May 31, 2009

Dangerous Birds

When I left the house this morning, Jake and Millie were on guard. About 4:30 a.m. I heard them bark. Knowing they were protecting us, I went back to sleep, secure in my thoughts. Later, as I ate breakfast, I looked outside to see what the hubbub was all about. Robbers? Thieves? No. It was worse than I thought. The culprit was birds up in the trees. Jake and Millie were going from tree to tree, barking at birds and standing guard. I think they’re on to something. What would happen to the creation if birds left their trees and began to live on the ground? It would throw all of nature into a tizzy. Thank you, Jake and Millie, for protecting us all from little robins, blue jays, and cardinals.

All kidding aside, I’m confident Jake and Millie would protect us from an intruder, unless, of course, the intruder brought food along. Then their loyalties would be divided. If you ever try to break into our backyard, please don’t bring food. Thanks.

Humor helps. Children’s views. When Jesus rose from the dead, it was a miracle He managed to get the tombstone off the entrance (actually profound). The men who followed Christ were called the twelve decibels (loud preachers, I guess). One of the opossums was Matthew, who was also a taximan.