Sunday, May 24, 2009

Serenading the Dogs

I feel guilty about the “Hound Dog” fiasco. Jake and Millie deserve better. I decided to google Stephen Foster’s song “Old Dog Tray” in order to sing it for them. “Sporting with my old dog Tray” would ease the pain of “You ain’t no friend of mine.” “Old dog Tray’s ever faithful” would take away the hurt of being slammed for not being high class. “I’ll never find a better friend that old dog Tray” would remove the scandal of the “Hound Dog” ethnic slur. As I read Foster’s words, I could see myself standing on the back deck singing, “I’ll vainly, vainly seek a better friend than old dog Tray.” Suddenly I was jerked back to reality. If I sang this song to Jake and Millie, they would look at me as if I were the biggest hypocrite in the world. I truly believe they would rather hear Elvis sing “Hound Dog” than to hear me sing “Old Dog Tray.” That hurts.

Happy Memorial Day weekend. Thank a veteran for the freedoms we enjoy. In church this morning we will honor veterans and learn some good lessons for life from Mr. Lincoln.

Tonight Ruth and I are hosting a party at our house for the family. Our special guests will be Amanda’s parents, who are visiting from Ohio. We are all looking forward to getting acquainted with John’s future in-laws.