Friday, May 15, 2009

Music Day

Yesterday was Music Day for me. At the Senior Adult meeting I heard Kevin Hawkins, our new Minister of Music, lead his chamber choir from Glendale High School. They were stunning. I plan to sing like that when I get to Heaven. In the celestial choir, there will be 144,000 sopranos, 144,000 altos, 144,000 basses, and me singing tenor.

Last night we attended Caleb’s Grace Academy Spring choir and orchestra concert. It was fantastic. The climax was a time of singing Heaven-sent, earth-shaking, Hell-crushing hymns, accompanied by the huge pipe organ Second once owned. The whole scene was surreal, surely a foretaste of Heaven. Even Sam sat mesmerized through it.

Last night a friend who is going through a heartbreaking break-up with his fiancĂ© sent me four country music songs he’s been listening to a lot. He said if I listen to them I will better understand what he’s feeling. To say the least, the songs are very sad. I’m going to recommend he not listen to those songs any more. As you know, I have a predisposition toward depression. That was one reason I decided to give up country music in 1995. Much of it is happy, but every once in a while, it presents a song so sad that you want to lie down on the floor and weep.