Monday, May 11, 2009

Easter Legend

Yesterday made five Sundays in a row of rain. Maybe there’s something to that old legend about rain on Easter causes rain seven Sundays in a row. Two more to go. We’ll see.

On the Oxford MS trip, I pulled out some of my old sermon material on Lincoln. I enjoyed editing it. I have three or four more sermons I could preach on Lincoln. My original preaching plan was upended by the fact little hoopla was made about the bicentennial of Lincoln’s birth. I thought the USA would be abuzz about it, and a series of sermons would be appropriate. So much for my knowledge. I still want to finish the series. Maybe Memorial Day or Fourth of July would work.

Four-year-old Ian begins t-ball practice this week at High Street Baptist Church. Tickets will be harder to come by than for the World Series. Pictures will be taken by the hundreds. Baseball greatness will be redefined. Without steroids.

Humor helps. Children’s definitions. First book of the Bible: Guinness. Animals entered the ark in pears. Unleavened bread: bread with no ingredients. Where Moses received the ten commandments: Mount Cyanide. The seventh commandment: thou shalt not admit adultery.