Friday, May 29, 2009

John is 35

John turned 35 today. He’s having a little trouble with this birthday. He says he is for the first time as close to 40 as he is to 30, plus he’s halfway to 70. It’s amazing how these annual numbers take on murkier meanings as they get bigger.

After hearing him share his concerns, I said, “Son, if you think it’s tough to turn 35, wait till you have a son who turns 35. Now that’s tough!!” I noticed he looked at Caleb when I said it. I think he got the point.

John does have one huge advantage right now. He is hopelessly and helplessly in love with his sweetheart Amanda Bolin. Ruth and I are convinced they will have a wonderful marriage. My Grandpa Hill did not marry till he was in his thirties. He lived long enough to celebrate 57 years of marital bliss. We pray John and Amanda will celebrate the same experience.

Humor helps. Children’s perspectives. Moses died before he reached Canada. Joshua told his son to stand still and he obeyed him. David fought the Finkelsteins. Solomon had 700 wives and 300 porcupines. When Mary heard she was the mother of Jesus, she sang the Magna Carta.