Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Younger than the Turtle

Ian, age 4, stayed all night with us Monday night. As I read a Bible story about Jesus, Ian said, “Jesus did a lot of cool things.” Amen. Yes, He did.

On the way to school Tuesday, Ian, Caleb, and I discussed the big turtle at Bass Pro Shops. When I mentioned it was 75 years, Caleb blurted out, “That’s older than you are, Grandpa.” He immediately knew he had inserted foot in mouth, but the damage was already done. We both howled. Ian was a bit too young to catch the subtle nuance.

Nathan and Rebekah have planted a little garden for Ian and Lilly Ruth to work in. I asked Ian to tell me about it. He immediately said, “It has poop in it.” What!!?? Mom quickly explained it’s cow manure.

We had a huge family get-together Monday night at our house. Lilly Ruth was not being nice. Her mother said, “Where did that sweet little girl I used to have go?” Ian then prayed at the blessing, “Jesus, please bring my sister back.” How do you keep from exploding with laughter in the middle of a prayer like that?